Without traffic, your website will fail: it’s not open to argument. The design can be terrific, your product may be wonderful, and your prices may be low, but none of that matters if nobody visits your site.
Of course, you can pay for traffic by purchasing banner advertising, email blasts, adword advertising, etc. But, you really do not have to spend a lot of money to get the traffic you need.
Here is how you can generate plenty of traffic on a budget.
1. My favorite traffic generating technique is article wrting. That’s because it works…and it works quickly. The methodology is simple: write a few articles that the kinds of folks likely to visit your site will find interesting. Send them to article distribution websites…there are several services and software tools which make it simple. End each article with an author’s box (like mine, below) which includes a link or two to your website. Webmasters in need of content will reprint your article on their sites, and you will gain a link each time they do.
2. Exchange links with the webmasters of other sites. While a link on any decent site will help you, links on sites with content related to yours and links on sites with relatively good Google PR are particularly valuable in influencing your search engine rankings.
3. One way link building is even better than exchanging links because the search engines are more “impressed” by one way links than reciprocals. If your website is good enough or if you can offer webmasters an ebook, a widget, or something else of value, try for some one way links.
4. If you are not yet blogging, you are missing a great opportunity. The search engines love blogs. A post a week is optimal, but even a post a month can help. Be sure your website links to your blog and your blog links to your website(s).
5. Bloggers, even more than webmasters of “regular” websites, need lots of content. Offer them articles (with author’s boxes containing links to your site , of course). They’ll love you, and you’ll pick up lots of links.
6. One of the least utilized traffic generation tools is the press release. Press releases can be picked up by hundreds of websites, giving you hundreds of (almost) instant links. There are several services which will distribute your website (some at no cost) and at least 3-4 pieces of software you can use to get your releases out.
I realize that not everyone can write. If you are “writing challenged”, don’t despair. You might have to search around awhile, but there are folks who write blog posts and/or articles for less than $10. Press release are generally more, but the cost is not prohibitive. Remember, your potential return for each project can be hundreds of links. And, you know what that means.